Email templates are formatted with HTML and CSS, and can be easily edited. In addition, you can further customize the template by adding variables and widgets.
Many of the default email templates contain placeholder information that should be changed before any transactional email messages are sent to customers. When the template is ready to be used, make sure to update your system configuration, so the updated template will be used instead of the previous version.
Step 1: Choose a Default Template
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Transactional Emails.
2. Click the Add New Template button.
3. In the Template list, select a default template from the list of predefined templates.
4. If necessary, set the Locale to the store language.
5. Click the Load Template button.
Step 2: Customize the Content
1. In the Template Information section, do the following:
a. Enter a Template Name for the new email template.
b. In the Template Subject field, type the text to appear in the Subject header of the message.
c. Complete the Template Content as needed.
2. (Optional) To insert a variable, do the following:
a. Position the cursor in the text where you want the variable to appear.
b. Click the Insert Variable button.
c. In the list of available predefined variables, click the variable you want to insert into the template.
3. When complete, click the Save Template button.
4. Make sure to Preview the template before associating it with a transactional email message that is sent to customers.
Step 3: Update Your Configuration
Before the template can be used, the configuration must be updated with the name of the new template. Refer to the path that you recorded in Step 1 when updating your configuration with the name of the new template.
1. On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
2. In the panel on the left, under Sales, select Sales Emails.
To learn more, see: Configuring Email Templates.
Email Template Variables